Music at the Piano Year 2
Prerequisite: Successful completion of Music at the Piano Year 1 is required to enter this level
Materials: This level will continue to use the Green Piano 2 Book from the spring
Your summer 2022 piano package includes:
- Four 1-hour group classes (select section below)
- One 90-minute parent theory class (Thursday, June 16 from 5:30-7:00pm OR Thursday, July 14 from 7:15-8:45pm)
- Access to a digital Piano Year 2 Resource Page
- One 1-hour private lesson (scheduled individually and completed no later than August 31st, 2022) with a South Florida Music piano instructor
- Fridays, 5:45-6:45pm (June 17 – July 15, no class July 1) at Christ the King Lutheran Church in Pinecrest
- Fridays, 6:15-7:15pm (June 17 – July 15, no class July 1) off of Miller Drive west of 826
- Saturdays, 9:00-10:00am (June 18 – July 16, no class July 2) at Plymouth Congregational Church in Coconut Grove
- Saturdays, 12:45-1:45pm (June 18 – July 16, no class July 2) at Christ the King Lutheran Church in Pinecrest
By registering for an in-person class, you agree to adhere to specific health and safety measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please visit our Terms and Policies page to review these guidelines, which you will also accept upon registration.
Description: Music At the Piano is a unique method for groups of young beginners based on an aural approach to musical literacy that provides a natural pathway to reading. This curriculum capitalizes on the children’s love of group music making to provide an introduction to piano playing, along with singing, composing, improvisation, transposition, and reading music. The parent/caregiver works alongside his or her child both in the classroom and at home. New songs and material will be presented each week, so regular attendance is essential. Children must complete each semester of Music At the Piano successfully in order to move to the next level.
In the second year of this sequential curriculum, more advancing repertoire will be introduced as children build on their piano foundation. Proper technique and music literacy remain at the forefront as children develop as young musicians. South Florida strives to provide a variety of both individual and group performance opportunities as safety allows, including local recitals/concerts, National Guild exams, and for year 2 children, an option to join our annual Disney Performance group!
Musical Goals: Play a melodic instrument (piano); Further ensemble skills; Read, write and sing advanced musical notation; Demonstrate a steady beat through the playing of melodies and harmonies individually and in an ensemble; Develop concepts of form, dynamics, tempi, articulation and timbre; Develop the ability to memorize mastered songs and perform them individually and/or in a group performance; Demonstrate the ability to transpose melodies learned to other musical positions; Further develop home practice skills
Developmental Goals: Increase bilateral gross and fine motor skills; Advance cognitive and language development; Demonstrate symbolic thinking; Set and accomplish goals through practice; Strengthen body awareness and self-regulation; Build on social, emotional, and self-help skills