Introduction to Music at the Piano (6-8 Year Olds)
Age: 6-8 years old upon entry into introductory classes
Note: The piano curriculum is sequential, must be taken in order, and is designed to begin in the summer semester. This is our introductory level. Families must purchase an approved keyboard for class use and home practice.
Your summer 2022 piano package includes:
- Four 1-hour group classes (select section below)
- One 90-minute parent theory class (Thursday, June 16 from 5:30-7:00pm OR Thursday, July 14 from 7:15-8:45pm)
- Children’s music book with CDs/digital downloads of course music
- Parent Guide
- Access to a digital Introduction to Piano Resource Page
- One 1-hour private lesson (scheduled individually and completed no later than August 31st, 2022) with a South Florida Music piano instructor
- Fridays, 4:30-5:30pm (June 17 – July 15, no class July 1) at Christ the King Lutheran Church in Pinecrest
- Saturdays, 10:15-11:15am (June 18 – July 16, no class July 2) at Christ the King Lutheran Church in Pinecrest
- Saturdays, 1:15-2:15pm (June 18 – July 16, no class July 2) at Plymouth Congregational Church in Coconut Grove
By registering for an in-person class, you agree to adhere to specific health and safety measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please visit our Terms and Policies page to review these guidelines, which you will also accept upon registration.
Description: Music At the Piano is a unique method for groups of young beginners based on an aural approach to musical literacy that provides a natural pathway to reading. This curriculum capitalizes on the children’s love of group music making to provide an introduction to piano playing, along with singing, composing, improvisation, transposition, and reading music. The parent/caregiver works alongside his or her child both in the classroom and at home. New songs and material will be presented each week, so regular attendance is essential. Children must complete each semester of Music At the Piano successfully in order to move to the next level.
Musical Goals: Play a melodic instrument (piano); Further ensemble skills; Read, write and sing advanced musical notation; Demonstrate a steady beat through the playing of melodies and harmonies individually and in an ensemble; Develop concepts of form, dynamics, tempi, articulation and timbre; Develop the ability to memorize mastered songs and perform them individually and/or in a group performance; Demonstrate the ability to transpose melodies learned to other musical positions; Further develop home practice skills
Developmental Goals: Increase bilateral gross and fine motor skills; Advance cognitive and language development; Demonstrate symbolic thinking; Set and accomplish goals through practice; Strengthen body awareness and self-regulation; Build on social, emotional, and self-help skills